23 Mar 2024

Whatever It Is, I'm Against It!

 Groucho was a punk rocker
 
I.
 
I have given several attempts to explain what the polysemic phrase torpedo the ark - borrowed from Norwegian playwright Henrik Ibsen - means to me, including:
 
(a) to have done with the judgement of God ... [click here]
 
(b) to hate everything ... [click here]
 
(c) to find everything funny ... [click here]
 
But, every now and then, I get emails from readers asking me to further elucidate. And so, I thought I'd offer a new definition - this time one inspired by Groucho Marx, rather than (a) Gilles Deleuze, (b) the Sex Pistols, or (c) Larry David: 
 
Torpedo the ark means ... Whatever it is, I'm against it!    
 
 
II.
 
This amusing line is sung by Groucho playing the role of Prof. Quincy Adams Wagstaff (Head of Huxley College) in the 1932 Mark Brothers film Horse Feathers (dir. Norman Z. McLeod).
 
The original song - 'I'm Against It' - was one of several musical numbers in the movie written by Bert Kalmar and Harry Ruby. 
 
Verses include:
  
I don't know what they have to say 
It makes no difference anyway 
Whatever it is, I'm against it!
No matter what it is 
Or who commenced it 
I'm against it!
 
Your proposition may be good 
But let's have one thing understood: 
Whatever it is, I'm against it!
And even when you've changed it 
Or condensed it 
I'm against it! [1]

Such wonderful comic nihilism nicely supplements the earlier interpretations of the phrase torpedo the ark and builds upon my own natural impulse to say no, nein, and non merci to everything - including those kind offers and opportunities that it might make more sense to accept and take advantage of [2].    
 
This obviously shows a perverse streak in my character, but there you go; if someone opens a door for me, I turn and walk away. Similary, if someone invites me to join their literary society, political party, social network, or private members club, I again remember the famous words of Groucho Marx [3].
 
 
Notes
 
[1] To watch Groucho perform this song - the opening number of Horse Feathers (1932) - click here
 
[2] See the post 'Just Say No' (1 Aug 2014): click here
 
[3] Groucho Marx is believed to have said: "I don't want to belong to any club that would accept me as one of it's members." Or something very similar to this; no one knows the exact wording or the precise circumstances of its employment. This amusing line was first reported by the Hollywood gossip columnist Erskine Johnson in October 1949 and it has been repeated ever since.
 
 
Thanks to Thomas Bonneville for suggesting this post and reminding me also that the Ramones have a track entitled 'I'm Against It' which can be found on their album Road to Ruin (Sire Records, 1978): click here to play a 2018 remastered version on YouTube.  
 

1 comment:

  1. The Marx Brothers song is funny to a point, but not really THAT funny. (The irony being that, to become the Marx Brothers, they themselves presumably had to show plenty of ambition and opportunism.) It also doesn't really make a lot of sense in the context of TTA, which I've been reading on and off for years in all its relentless (and sometimes brilliant) contradictoriness, and which also contains, as far as I can see, numerous posts affirming pleasure, enjoyment and affirmation of multiple ideas and cultural bric-a-brac. Presumably, the blogger is by definition not against his blog itself, therefore.

    It also seems strange that, given his pervasive interest in perversity, he should be so apparently - and what comes over as even wilfully - uninterested in exploring his own. Isn't this just a form of complacency in the end? I guess we're just not supposed to take any of this very seriously.

    ReplyDelete