23 Sept 2021

Fragment from the Dementia Diary: Day 2000

Ich und meine Mutter (SA/2021)
  
 
Day 2000 - much like any of the previous 1,999 days spent here (continuously) since 2 April, 2016:
 
08.00: get my mother up, washed, and dressed ...
 
09.00: do my mother's breakfast and administer medication ...
 
10.00: do the shopping and pick up my mother's prescription from chemist ...
 
11.30: start preparing my mother's midday meal ...
 
16.30: start preparing my mother's tea ...
 
19.30: do toast and tea for my mother's supper ...
 
20.00: administer more pills ...
 
21.00: put my mother to bed ...
 
In between the above routine tasks: do the washing up; do the laundry; clean the house; do the gardening; pay the bills; make cups of tea, take my mother to and from the toilet, feed the cat, etc. Very little time to read, write, think, or breathe.  
 
As I said on Day 1, I repeat now: caring is tedious and depressing. Any small joys are fleeting and what we extol as blessing depends on what afflicts us as plight [Heidegger].  
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment